FOOD BOOST CHALLENGE 2021-22
CAN YOU ENTICE YOUNG PEOPLE TO EAT MORE FRUIT AND VEGETABLES?
That was the idea of the Food Boost Challenge 2021-22. We asked young people for the best idea to make fruit and vegetables (products) popular among young people between 12 and 20 years old. From the 25 entries, 10 teams were selected to work together with leading companies to develop their idea into a realistic concept. In doing so, the teams competed for the following amazing prizes:
- € 5,000 prize money for the winners
- € 500 prize money for the public winners
- 2 return plane tickets with 4 nights’ accommodation to Kentucky (USA) to present and validate the idea that potentially best fits the US market there this summer, offered by partner AppHarvest
- national media exposure during the finals on 24 May 2022
- chance to present their idea at Floriade Expo 2022
- .. … and, of course, a whole slew of great companies that would love to take on the participating students after their studies.
In preparation for the finals, students worked with partner companies, and were given access to an extensive network of facilities. They were also prepared to make a great pitch with their first prototype.
The Avocado Show
The Happy Activist
Judges for Appharvest prize & chairman of the day
AND THE WINNER IS...
Besides Team Veggie smooth, there were several other winners. Team PowerTower won the €500 public prize, out of more than 1,500 votes they received 400 for their idea of a stackable tower that can be placed in the fridge, for example, and which responds to the impulsive eating behaviour of young people. By filling this tower with healthy snacks, people are more likely to snack on fruit and vegetables from this fridge instead of the candy cabinet.
Team Seasonal food walked away with the runner-up public prize, a delicious dinner offered by one of our partners Vermaat. Their idea to organise a Fruit and Vegetable (cooking) challenge in schools was enthusiastically taken up by several partners. Finally, an additional prize arose during the jury deliberation, won by Team Good Food Mood App. The jury was so enthusiastic about the idea of an app that combines healthy food with the importance of feeling good that they did not want to let this team go home empty-handed. This team could count on a delicious lunch at the Avocado Show, offered by Ron Simpson.
Want to join us, or receive more information and updates? Leave your details via the contact form or email firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on social media.